PLEASE READ THIS POLICY CAREFULLY
Your privacy is most important to us. At Publish1st Inc. (“Publish1st”, “we”, “us” or “our”), Publish1st shall ensure that it complies with the following privacy notice when processing personal information on behalf of our partners and/or your academic institution or organization. This privacy notice applies to your use of the platform located at www.publish1st.com, (“Platform”, “Website”) and Publish1st Services, as defined in the Terms of Service to which this policy is incorporated into and made a part of. We are adamant about protecting the privacy of our users and subscribers. Our policy is simple: except as noted below we do not sell, share, or provide in any way your personally identifiable information to any person, company or organization without your prior permission.
Information Collection and Use
Information Collected Through Account Creation and Registration, Login, and Obtaining and using the Publish1st Platform, Programs and Services:
- Individual User Accounts:
Individual Users provide us with their full names, address, telephone number, gender, email address, password, and credit card information. All underage minor users of our products provide us with their email address or user name, gender, grade level, in some cases, birth month and year, and password.
- Author User Accounts:
Author User Accounts, include anyone working in the platform to produce a publication (hereinafter “author(s)”). Authors are solely responsible for establishing process/compliance with all applicable laws and regulations as well as any privacy policies, or other obligations relating to collection of personal information in connection with the use of the Publish1st Services by Individual Users with whom Authors interact.
- Organizational User Accounts:
Organizational Users include schools, government agencies, companies, Publish1st partners, or any other organization. Publish1st processes your personal information in accordance with the instructions given to us by the Organization. Organizational Users are solely responsible for establishing process/ compliance with all applicable laws and regulations as well as any privacy policies, or other obligations relating to collection of personal information in connection with the use of the Publish1st Services by Individual Users with whom Organizational Users interact.
Personally identifiable information collected during the account registration process, use of our Publish1st Services, including publications on the Publish1st Platform, users choosing to receive certain email communications, and participation in electronic events, may be used to:
- Provide, improve, promote and enable your access to the Publish1st Services;
- Process transactions and send receipts and invoices;
- Generate statistical studies and conduct research related to our professional work;
- Identify, develop, and offer existing and new products and services; and
- Provide customer services and support, and send updates, notices and administrative messages.
We use IP addresses to identify trends, administer the site, track users’ movements within our sites and gather broad demographic information for aggregated use. We will not share this information with any other third party. IP addresses are not linked to personally identifying information.
The portfolios on our websites are intended for storage of progress, results, artifacts and access to authorized products and are protected by users’ passwords. The contents of each portfolio can be viewed by the portfolio creator, Author and, in the case of an Organizational User account, site practitioner(s) or Professional(s), manager or supervisor, Parents or Guardians in the case of Individual User accounts.
Newsletters and other Communication Tools:
If you wish to subscribe to any newsletter or other electronic communication tools we produce, we ask for contact information, such as your name and e-mail address. Your e-mail address will be used to deliver these communications and information from the Publish1st websites. The personal communication information users provide us with will NOT be distributed to any other third party for any reason whatsoever.
As noted above, we do not share or provide in any way your personally identifiable information to any person, company or organization without your prior permission, except as noted below:
- When required by law to comply with any valid legal process such as a search warrant, subpoena, statute, regulation or court order, Publish1st will supply such information as, based on the advice of counsel, Publish1st reasonably determines it is legally required to supply.
- Publish1st may release specific information relevant to special cases, such as, to protect the rights, property or personal safety of you or others or in the case of an attempted breach of security on our websites, suspected fraud or violations of our Terms of Service or Acceptable Use Policy.
- Publish1st may disclose information to exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims.
- For users who access Publish1st Services provided to them by schools, government agencies, independent counselors, companies, or any other organization (hereinafter collectively “Organizations”) that purchases services from Publish1st Inc., whether or not the user pays for the Publish1st Services directly, Publish1st will share user information with authorized personnel at those Organizations who we consider site practitioners (example: faculty, teachers, counselors, supervisors, etc.). Since those Organizations are responsible for assigning access to user information it becomes the responsibility of the user to determine whom in the said Organizations has access to their information. Publish1st is not responsible for the actions, practices, or policies of those Organizations and their use of user information.
- Some users of Publish1st products are underage minors. Publish1st will provide access to these users information as described in the above paragraph. Publish1st will also share underage minor user's information with parents or guardians if requested.
- Publish1st Inc. may disclose or transfer user information to a third party in the event that Publish1st Inc. enters into a merger or enters into bankruptcy, or a third party acquires Publish1st Inc. or its assets.
Our Platform and Publish1st Services use session cookies for session management to distinguish you from other users. This helps us provide you with a good experience when you use our Website and Publish1st Services. The cookie is a text string stored by a user’s web browser. It consists of one or more name-value pairs containing bits of information, which may be encrypted for information privacy and data security purposes. The cookie is used for authentication, storing site preferences, shopping cart contents, the identifier for a server-based session, or anything else that can be accomplished through storing textual data. For example, our session cookies allow users to log in to our Publish1st Services. The web server will first send a cookie containing a unique session identifier. Users then submit their credentials and the web application authenticates the session and allows the user access to Publish1st Services.
As text, cookies are not executable files. Because they are not executable, they cannot replicate themselves and are not viruses. Most modern browsers allow users to decide whether to accept cookies, and the time frame to keep them, but rejecting cookies makes our Publish1st Services unusable. Session cookies used by Publish1st are deleted by the user's computer when the browser is closed, when the computer is turned off, or when the session automatically times out.
Publish1st does not place cookies permanently on the user's hard drives to track user activity in any way.
Publish1st uses third parties to process credit card transactions. Publish1st does not store credit card numbers except the last four digits required for refunds should they occur. Publish1st will not be held responsible for data breaches by these credit card processing companies.
Publish1st uses third parties to anonymously monitor traffic on our Websites, and Publish1st Services to identify trends, administer the site, track users’ movements within our sites and gather broad demographic information for aggregated use. We will not share this information with any other third party. These programs record visitors’ host, domain names, pages visited, length of user sessions, browser type and/or IP addresses. The programs track the number of times the site(s) are visited, how many visitors come to the site(s), which parts of the site(s) are frequented, and the length of time of each visit. This information is not linked to and does not contain personally identifiable information.
Communication Options from Publish1st Inc. websites
We communicate electronically with our users through three types of emails: mandatory system-generated emails, optional emails, and promotion emails. System-generated emails are a direct response to a user’s action on the site(s). Examples include: confirmation of a purchase, adding a staff person or program administrator to an Organizational User Account, and username and password reminders. Optional emails are selected by the user based on specific Publish1st Services chosen. Examples include email newsletters and user product updates. Promotion emails are determined by Publish1st to promote other useful products to our users and to get user opinions about our products and services. Examples include product promotions, alerts, and surveys. If you do not want to receive promotional emails from us, please let us know by sending an email to email@example.com.
Linked Internet Web Sites
Applicable Law/International Issues
Compliance with Privacy Laws
Publish1st complies fully with the requirements of the Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, 20 U.S.C. Sec. 1232g (“FERPA”), the Student Online Personal Information Protection Act, Assembly Bill No. 1584 codified in Education Code Section 49073.1, and all other federal, state & Provincial guidelines applicable and adopted in accordance therewith. Personally identifiable information received by Publish1st will be used solely for legitimate interests.
Pursuant to AB 1584, student records entered into accounts on the Website by students of the Local Educational Agency (“LEA”) shall continue to be the property of, and under the control of, the LEA. Students may retain possession and control of or transfer such accounts to personal accounts upon by following instructions from within their account. In the event of an unauthorized disclosure of records, we will promptly notify the affected parent, legal guardian, or eligible pupil and LEA and take appropriate mitigation efforts. Pupil records shall not be retained upon completion of the terms of the contract.
Access to Personally Identifiable Information
You can change your personally identifiable information in any of these ways:
- Sign in to your account and change your personal information through the program software
- In the case of organizational account access, contact an administrator, course facilitor, faculty member, counselor, or other staff person that has authorized access to our products
- Contact Publish1st Inc. at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can request deletion of your personally identifiable information that is maintained by us by contacting Publish1st at email@example.com; however, this information may be retained if you maintain an account for Publish1st Services or to comply with legal obligations, resolve disputes and/or to enforce the terms of agreements.
Parents and/or guardians may review underage minor user's information and request deletion of such information by emailing a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To close or deactivate your account, you must:
Email Customer Service at email@example.com.